Monday, August 24, 2009

Numbers are a bugaboo!

Numbers are my BUGABOO! To be quite sure I was using the correct word, I found the definition of bugaboo to be: some imaginary thing that causes fear and worry. Yep, I had the correct word!

Numbers are used everywhere and in every facet of life. We read about the Dow being up or down and how these numbers effect our world. We read or hear on the news about the recession or about Cash for Clunkers or the banking problems. If you think about it, we hear about numbers a lot. They get woven into our minds and influence our lives.

I got an early start to my worry of numbers when I started school. It was a struggle and my fingers got a workout as I learned addition and subtraction. My mind would go numb as I fought my way through algebra. To this day, it throws me into a tizzy if someone interrupts my thoughts as I'm doing a calculation of some sort.

Even in cooking and eating I deal with numbers. When a recipe is reduced or increased; or when counting carbs or calories; or adding points for Weight Watchers. In my work as a Family Nurse Practitioner, the 'clinic numbers' ruled my life as I tried to see enough people in a day to support my salary.

And now in retirement, I find that numbers are hovering over my head and determining my day-to-day activities once again.

This time of year vineyard owners start thinking NUMBERS! As we prepare for harvest, we test the BRIX to measure the sweetness level of the grapes. The alcohol content of the wine is dependent on the sugar content of the grape - so this is an important number for the winemaker.

pH is tested to measure the strength of the acid in the grape. If the number is too low (and no corrections are made in the winery), the wine could have an astringent taste. If the number is too high, the wine will taste flat or flabby, and have a high potential for spoilage.

The third component that is tested is TOTAL ACID. These numbers measure the acids in the grape. The higher the total acid the more astringent the wine tastes. This makes the wine drinker 'pucker' when she consumes it. If the total acid is low, the wine will taste flat with no distinctive mouth feel.

This numbers game has already started in our vineyard for our Vignoles grapes, and will continue every two or three days until we harvest. Then it's on to Chambourcin, Cabernet Franc and Cynthiana.

Ye gads! See why the numbers are running my life and consequently driving me nuts?!

1 comment:

Jayne said...

I agree--numbers and math make my head hurt! :)