Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The 40-Year-Old Rookie

So, I was invited by my family (and business partners) to attend the Midwest Grape & Wine Conference at Tan-Tar-A Resort on Osage Beach this past February. Confidently, even boldly, I said “Heck yes, I’d love to go” and I mean, why not? I’m no big shot, but I am the Director of Operations for National Distributing Company – New Mexico. For those of you who don't know, National is a wine and spirits distributor. I’m responsible for an annual budget of $150 million dollars. I have 80 managers and associates that report to me. Midwest Grape & Wine Conference? Heck, this is what I do for a living already. Chest puffed out, I thought “I speak-ah the lingo. No prob-lemo."

Strolling into the first session, Introduction to Viticulture, with a smile and full of confidence I took my seat and prepared my pen and paper, took a drink of water, and got ready to shine. I think it was probably 10 minutes into the session when I began to feel a gastronomic sensation -- a knot in my gut. Tiny beads of perspiration gathered on my forehead as I looked at those around me nodding in comprehension. I felt the blood in my checks drain toward my toes as I realized what was happening … I didn’t understand a word of what was being said. Could I really not know what the speaker was communicating? How could this be? I sell wine and liquor for a living!


I found myself feverishly scribbling every single word spoken hoping to be able to translate later. At certain times I looked around the room for my family hoping to catch a friendly eye, a supportive wink or a crooked smile from them if only to boost my ego for a moment. By the end of the session, realizing there were many more sessions to attend over the weekend, I felt drained and defeated. Disheveled, I rose from my seat and staggered out of the room. My sister and mother approached and asked how it had gone. “Great!" I lied, “I’ll be right back."

Five minutes later I emerged, somewhat composed and ready to go to the next session. I had needed to ground myself. You see, for these people wine and grapes are not only their jobs, but their life and passion as well. And, they know their stuff.
They know much more than I do about the whole process, which, as I’ve learned, isn’t saying much. For the first time in nearly 15 years I felt like a rookie -- a 40-year-old rookie -- and I can’t wait to learn even more next year at the Grape & Wine Conference.

Perhaps I’ll have graduated to novice by then.

No comments: